Thursday 21 July 2011

Right down to business... then we can rock!

So this is me blogging about trying to get a film made. I wont be the first and I very much doubt I'll be the last. That is until the internet evolves into a social privacy nightmare and gets the thoughts of everyone in the world beamed directly into your consciousness. Maybe that's how Star Trek came up with the Borg? That's why I love Sci-FI, always thinking ahead... and I bet they didn't tweet about assimilating.

So these will be my exploits, splitting infinitives where they have boldly been split before... or not... I wouldn't know as my use of grammar isn't something I'd list as a virtue. At least I hope you find the entries interesting, funny, informative, short enough to fit into a coffee break but long enough to use real English words ROFL (Ruminations Of Flightless Llamas?).

Here goes...

Had a very interesting meeting today with Denise Geyette at the Trinidad & Tobago Film Company. Very helpful with what they can offer to facilitate (that's the official tern) film making here. As well as the support with permits, contacts and other paperwork related things, she filled in a few details about the current incentive schemes they offer for film and video productions. They have a fund to help write scripts for shorts and TV and is also used to support production. As far as features are concerned they have no direct funding at the moment because the government don't want to splash the cash up front. They used to and TTFC are lobbying hard to get it reinstated.

It's not all bad for features though as they do a rebate scheme which, for this film would give a 12.5% refund for money spent on production in T&T. This could be going up to a whopping 35% if they get their request passed through the Arts' ministry... Come on guys! They also just changed the tax code to give a 150% deduction on all money used to sponsor film production. This could be a nice little bonus to get some corporate sponsorship or cash from a people with big tax bills.

It was great to meet Denise, she's very enthusiastic if not a horror fan. She also mentioned about offering internships to recent graduates from UWI which I'm all for. I would have loved to have done that after, or even during my degree, but I had bills to pay. I still have the bills but unless they're reading my blog, they can wait until I come back to England. So internships will very likely be on as TTFC can part fund them.

I love the TTFC, you can like them here.

I did a little bit of research on potential locations. Have a look:





Love-er-ly aren't they?

I had better plan a scouting trip to Tobago and take some proper photos instead of google imaging. I'm not sure how often I'll be blogging. The more I get done, the more I'll have to write about. I'll just have less time to do it in. I'm going for Having-to-find-time-to-blog-as-I-just-got-$1,000,000 :) (I'm happy but I was born without a nose). I'm off to see Orange Sky tomorrow night, rock and horror do go well together and these guys most definitely rock. I'd love to put some of their music in the film or even the band playing. So that's the gig filed under research too.

Stay classy,

Simo Bo

Watching: An Idiot Abroad - lizards like hob-nobs.
Reading: Endless tweets about SDCC.
Listening: Orange Sky - Dark Room.
Eating: Ham, avocado, cheese and mustard rolls - D-lish.

1 comment:

  1. hey good news already. nice one. my post is gonna go up in the next day or two. theres a lot to write after this film festival so i've had to schedule it

    ReplyDelete